Monday, October 15, 2007

The Day it Rain without my car

The day was 15 Oct 2007 1PM, I had made an appointment to send my Toyota Vios for a Toyota Express Service at Borneo Motor new service workshop at Marsiling Lane. The originally plan was to replace the 2 front tires at the same servicing.

The only reason I had picked an afternoon servicing session was because Borneo Motor is giving away FREE grooming for all afternoon session booking of Toyota Express Service package. Because I was replacing the tires at the same time, the express service will not be applicable and so will be the FREE grooming session. Anyway, they only have Michelin XM1 replacement tire which I had no idea how it was going to look like on my Vios. I decided to defer the tire replacement and go for the FREE car grooming instead. I believe I can get a better tire replacement deal somewhere else.

So much for the Toyota Express Service experience, my Vios will only be ready for collection at around 4pm. It had been a long time since I had to take the public transport. I didn't even know how to get back to my home from the workshop. I asked for direction and he promptly directed me to a bus stop where I took feeder service 903 back to Woodlands Interchange. I continued my journey back home on a South Bound train towards Sembawang MRT Station.

Luckily for me, I took the only umbrella in my car along when I left. It was running cats & dogs when I alighted at Sembawang MRT Station. I can't remember when was the last time I was caught in the rain crossing the road. Even with the umbrella, my legs are totally soaked wet. This reminds me of what my wife and kids had been going through; something I had not experience for a very long time indeed. It is so easy to take things for granted; only to find how inconvenient it will be without it.

This also reminds me of my last employer who was in the railway industry. He made the fatal mistake of not planning for his employees career future and opportunity. One by one, all his able men left. It must be really tough for the company for so many experience engineers to leave at the same time, but I believe with the kind of support he is getting, he will survive it again. :D

Although I am currently gainfully employed with a respectable monthly salary, history had taught me not to be complacent; anything can happen. The company/department can close down; especially when it is not making profit. I was retrenched during the dot-com bubble burst and I didn't want to go through that unprepared again. I attended an Internet Marketing seminar recently and that rekindled my dream of making it on the Internet once again.

I created the following blogs to inspire myself and people like me to living out the dream of "Internet Lifestyle" - working from the comfort of anywhere with an Internet connection.
  1. Internet Marketing
  2. Asterisk :: The Open Source Telephony Platform
  3. DIY Vegetarian Food
  4. Vegetarian Recipe

No comments: